In celebration of our first official blog post and in anticipation of the conclusion to Maggie Stiefvater’s enigmatic The Raven Cycle, we are listing our thoughts on what might, and what would hopefully, happen in The Raven King. Here we go:
1) Gansey dies. Okay, this is a no-brainer. Gansey’s death is a fact that has been revealed by simply reading the synopsis of the first book. Don’t even bother trying to get your hopes up about Gansey somehow dodging the bullet because Stiefvater could not have stressed it more clearly in her social media account:
2) Gansey will come back to life. This might be confusing for you (especially since we told you not to get your hopes up), but there is a theory that has been circulating about the novel for some time now. The theory is based on the idea that time is circular. Remember when Ronan found his own handwriting on the surface of a stone during one of their first explorations of Cabeswater in The Raven Boys?
“We can see it right now on my watch. It’s flexible. You haven’t been here before, Ronan, but it doesn’t mean you didn’t come here later. Minutes later. Days, years, leave yourself a message, write a joke so you’d believe it was you. Knowing there was a chance time might fold you here to find it.”
The Raven Boys, Maggie Stiefvater
As Gansey said himself, time is flexible. Even though Gansey will die, there could always be a Gansey who will continue to live forever within the magical realms of Cabeswater.
3) On a less depressing note, we totally want Pynch to be a real thing. There’s already evidence of angst between Ronan and Adam:
“The scent of Cabeswater, all trees after rain, drifted past Adam, and he realized that while he’d been looking at Ronan, Ronan had been looking at him.”
“See, Adam Parrish is wantable, worthy of a crush, not just by anyone, someone like Ronan, who could want Gansey or anyone else and chose Adam for his hungry eyes.”
Blue Lily, Lily Blue, Maggie Stiefvater
Besides, even Stiefvater herself said that there is going to be two kisses in The Raven King:
Taken from maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com
The first one is, obviously, between Gansey and Blue. And as much as we’d like to see them get it on before Gansey’s imminent doom, we’d also really like to see the Pynch ship sail.
4) Blue and Gansey get together. Finally.
5) Glendower wakes. Another duh. The question is what will happen after he wakes up? Each character wants something specific from Glendower, but we have a feeling that things might not turn out the way everyone expects it to be. Gansey practically idolises him so we’re pretty certain that there’s gonna be a lot of room for disappointment.
6) Butternut reunites with Maura Sargent. Here’s to hoping that they aren’t the second kiss Stiefvater was talking about.
7) The ending will be everything we hoped it could be and more (Let’s pray that the read won’t disappoint us the way we think Glendower would disappoint Gansey).
We have to admit that we’re pretty terrified right now. The Raven Cycle had been one of the best thrills of our lives, in fact it is the inspiration for this blog. Seeing it come to an end is bittersweet and we know that we’re probably not the only fans who have a lot of expectations for this final book. That being said, our fear doesn’t stop us from anticipating the conclusion to the epic series that has been The Raven Cycle.