Happy New Year everyone!
I guess you could say this is the start of something new (pun intended). As much as we are sure that this year marks different things for each of us, 2016 also marks a decade, – you read that correctly – a decade since the first High School Musical movie. We feel so old.
Coincidentally, the movie started off with a celebration of a new year. It is only appropriate that our first post of the year shows our appreciation for this piece of our childhood; not for the big musical numbers and the storyline we all know and love, but for those diamonds in the rough that escaped our attention the first fifty or so times we watched the movie. Here are our favourite moments:
1. The karaoke host. If you really think about it, without this blessed man lumping Troy and Gabriella on stage that night, the movie along with its two sequels would not pull through. So, thank you karaoke host.
2. Zeke. We want to taste his baked goods.
3. Michael Crawford’s picture in Chad’s refrigerator. Not on it.
4. Those 2006 it-fashion items in the form of flip phones and flared jeans. Who can forget Ryan’s hat fetish (that lasted through all three movies), as well as Taylor and Sharpay’s questionable taste in bags? And does anyone else notice that Gabriella is really into the colour blue? Not just any blue though, a very specific shade of baby blue.
5. That random person who is probably Troy’s biggest fan. If you listen carefully, you will hear him shouting “TROY, YOU’RE THE MAN” twice in the movie. Yes, yes he is.
6. Kelsi and Jason. Why was this not a thing???
7. A collection of Troy’s golden moments
8. Under-appreciated Troy and Gabriella moments:
- When they finished each other’s
sentencessandwiches after homeroom
- When “like kindergarten” was their “Okay? Okay.”
- When Troy shared Gabriella’s love of blue shirts
So let us stand, hand in hand, and make our dreams come true this 2016.
Because after all, we’re all in this together.